Dirk Nowitzki? Who is he to be the MVP?
Some people doubts that he doesn’t deserved to be the 2011 NBA finals MVP. They say he don’t have any skill or a qualification that an MVP should have. They are comparing him to some players like Lebron James, Kobe Braynt, Shacquille O’Neal, etc. but the question is, do you know him? Critics have alleged Nowitzki’s defense is a weakness, as he averages just over one block per game and never made an All-Defense Team. However, playing more around the perimeter took him out of position where a typical power forward would be detracts from his overall defensive stats. Despite the claims of lack of defense, he still ranked 8th in active players for defensive win shares, placing him higher than Kobe Bryant, who has made the All-Defensive team 11 times.
Nowitzki is a frontcourt player who mostly plays the power forward position, but has also played center, small forward and point forward throughout his career. He hits almost 88% of his free throws and connects on almost 50% of his field goal attempts in three point’s area. He joined the 2006 NBA All-Star Three-Point Shootout competition. He competes with a well – known players and those players were Ray Allen, Gilbert Arenas, Chauncey Billups and Jason Terry, but he did let himself to be distracted by those things and he turn the table upside down when he won the three point shootout. Some critics said that he’s shooting accuracy combined with his long seven-foot frame and unique shooting mechanics, such as having a release point above his head, makes contesting his jump shots incredibly difficult. Additionally, he can put the ball down and drive with it from the perimeter, like few have been able to do with his size.
Here’s a Video from YouTube of the last 2006 NBA Three point Shootout:
and here’s some information about Dirk Nowitzki
- NBA Draft: 1998 / Round: 1 / Pick: 9th overall Selected by the Milwaukee Bucks
- Pro career: 1994–present
- 1998–present: Dallas Mavericks
Achievement and awards
- NBA Most Valuable Player (2007)
- 10× NBA All-Star (2002–2011)
- 4× All-NBA First Team (2005–2007, 2009)
- 4× All-NBA Second Team (2002–2003, 2008, 2010)
- 2× All-NBA Third Team (2001, 2004)
- NBA Three-Point Shootout Champion (2006)
- FIBA World Championship MVP (2002)
- EuroBasket MVP (2005)
- 7x European Player of the Year:
- 5× Euroscar Award Winner (2002–2006)
- Mister Europa Player of the Year (2005)
- FIBA Europe Player of the Year (2005)
- NBA Finals Most Valuable Player (2011)